Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. Are there any prerequisite for the classes?

        There are no prerequisite for either the NRA Home Firearm Safety, or the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting, .

Per the NRA, for Personal Protection Inside the Home, one must be a adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state or local law, and experienced shooters... Prospective participants can demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes by producing an NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment.

        An online course for the classroom portion of Basics of Pistol Shooting can be found here.

        For the MCRGO Basic Concealed Pistol License Class, one must not be
                     -pregnant or nursing.
                     -under the influence of any medication, drug, or substance which might impair coordination or judgment.
                     -a convicted felon or domestic violence misdemeanant.
                     -an illegal alien.
                     -otherwise prohibited by law from possessing firearms.
                     -diagnosed with a serious mental illness or any mental illness or physical condition which would prevent one from handling and operating firearms safely, or which may be aggravated or exacerbated by this activity.
                     -under the age of 21.

2. What is the NRA's "Pre-Course Assessment"?

        It is a short, one-on-one time where the student shows mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm. There is no extra charge for doing this when signed up for a class. This can be done at any time before class. Please contact us if you have any further questions, concerns, or wish to set up a time to fulfill this requirement.

3. What do I need for class?

        For the NRA's Home Firearm Safety, just yourself and an attitude for learning.

        For the NRA's Basics of Pistol Shooting, you will need range equipment (eye and ear protection), a firearm, and at least 100 rounds of ammunition.

        For the NRA's Personal Protection Inside The Home, you will need range equipment (eye and ear protection), a firearm, and at least 100 rounds of factory ammunition.

        For the MCRGO's Basic Concealed Pistol License, you will need range equipment (eye and ear protection), a firearm, and at least 100 rounds of factory ammunition.

4. Do I need my own gun for class/lesson?

        If you have your own, feel free to bring it. If not, we will have limited firearms available for rent. The cost for renting a firearm for a standard class is $20, which includes the ammunition needed.

        Price for renting a firearm for lessons may vary based upon the type and number of firearms rented, and desired learning objectives.

5. How much are private lessons?

        We charge $30 per hour of private one-on-one instruction. Please contact us to work out the logistics.

6. How far are you willing to travel?

        This would depend on the distance and time required, what was being taught, number of students, and instructor(s) availability. Please contact us to work out the logistics.

7. What forms of payments do you accept?

        We accept cash and American Express, Discover, Mastercard, and Visa debit/credit cards.

8. Is there anyway I can save money on my class?

        Occassionally, we will run specials on our classes. Please keep an eye on our facebook, and twitter pages for these.

       We also have a price match program where we will match a competitor's CPL class price for classes that occur within fifty miles and two weeks of our class. Send a screenshot of the details to us by email, instant message, or text.

       If you are in need of a CPL but can't afford the listed price, contact us and we will see what can be worked out with you for your situation.

        People who need a basic class due to obtaining an emergency CPL can complete the class with no cost to them. Please contact us to work out the details.

9. I have completed my class, now what do I do?

        After any class, you will need to put the information into practice and continue learning. For the NRA's Personal Protection Inside The Home and the MCRGO's Basic Concealed Pistol License students, you can apply for your Michigan Concealed Pistol License at your county clerks office, providing that you meet all the requirements. A downloadable instructions and application packet can be found here.

        Once you have your CPL, you can use the RI-060 (Pistol Sales Record) found here for handgun purchases in Michigan. A link to renew your CPL online can be found here.

10. I lost my certificate, what do I do?

        We can order new NRA certificates for $25 (you will get a new book as well), and MCRGO certificates for $5. If shipping is requested for the replacement certificate, please add another $10. Please contact us to order a replacement with in-person exchange, or go here to order online.

Home Page About Us Contact Us F.A.Q. Upcoming Classes